Looking for a job can be hard work – below is some information to help you. You can also find information about our employability-themed language cafe and ESOL for work classes on our language support page.
Job Search Websites – General
You can register on these websites, upload your CV, and sign up for weekly emails with job listings. You can apply for some jobs through these websites, but some employers will ask you to register on their company’s website to apply for a job.
Job Search Websites – Specific Industries
Public Sector & Charities
Retail, Catering & Hospitality
If you want to work for a specific supermarket, shop, restaurant, hotel, etc – check their website. For smaller businesses, you can often visit in person and hand them your CV.
Health, Social Care & Childcare
- jobs.scot.nhs.uk (jobs across the NHS)
- vsa.org.uk (social care)
- healthjobs4u.com (healthcare)
- jobmedic.co.uk (healthcare)
- carehome.co.uk (jobs in care homes)
- nurses.co.uk (nursing)
- care.com (home & childcare)
- childcarecareersscotland.scot (jobs and training in childcare)
Energy Industry, Engineering & Construction
- rigzone.com (oil industry)
- energyjobline.com (energy industry)
- orionjobs.com (oil & gas)
- trs-system.co.uk (construction)
Volunteering is a great way to build your skills, improve your English, add to your CV and meet new contacts – and new friends.
Employability Advice from Other Organisations
- jobhelp.campaign.gov.uk – advice from the Job Centre
- myworldofwork.co.uk – information and support from Skills Development Scotland
- pathways-online.org – Aberdeen based employability service
- shmu.org.uk/train – training scheme for young people, age 16-25
- skillsdevelopmentscotland.co.uk – training opportunities and general job-search advice
Agencies connect workers with short-term jobs – anything from a few hours to a few months – and this can sometimes lead to longer-term work. After you register with an agency, it’s worth contacting them every week or two, to see if they have anything available (unless they ask you not to contact them).
Health & Social Care
Office, Admin & Accountancy
Energy Industry & Engineering