Looking for a job can be hard work – below is some information to help you. If you want further advice or help, please contact GREC’s employability service.
Job Search Websites – General
You can register on these websites, upload your CV, and sign up for weekly emails with job listings. You can apply for some jobs through these websites, but some employers will ask you to register on their company’s website to apply for a job.
Job Search Websites – Specific Industries
Public Sector & Charities
Retail, Catering & Hospitality
If you want to work for a specific supermarket, shop, restaurant, hotel, etc – check their website. For smaller businesses, you can often visit in person and hand them your CV.
Health, Social Care & Childcare
- jobs.scot.nhs.uk (jobs across the NHS)
- vsa.org.uk (social care)
- healthjobs4u.com (healthcare)
- jobmedic.co.uk (healthcare)
- carehome.co.uk (jobs in care homes)
- nurses.co.uk (nursing)
- care.com (home & childcare)
- childcarecareersscotland.scot (jobs and training in childcare)
Energy Industry, Engineering & Construction
- rigzone.com (oil industry)
- energyjobline.com (energy industry)
- orionjobs.com (oil & gas)
- trs-system.co.uk (construction)
Volunteering is a great way to build your skills, improve your English, add to your CV and meet new contacts – and new friends.
Agencies connect workers with short-term jobs – anything from a few hours to a few months – and this can sometimes lead to longer-term work. After you register with an agency, it’s worth contacting them every week or two, to see if they have anything available (unless they ask you not to contact them).
Health & Social Care
Office, Admin & Accountancy
Energy Industry & Engineering